The Caisse’s responsible investment approach is based on dialogue between companies.
As one of Canada's leading institutional investors, the Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec tries to influence the social, environmental, and governance (SEG) performance of companies. In 2004, the Caisse was the first institution in Canada to adopt a policy on responsible investment.
- Policy on Responsible Investment (PDF 61 kB)
The Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec promotes responsible investment in various ways:
- Through direct dialogue with companies;
- Through the integration of environmental, social and governance (ESG) criteria in the investment analysis process;
- Through the exercise of our voting rights. In 2016, the Caisse exercised its voting rights at 3,718 shareholder meetings in Canada, the United States, and worldwide. Policy on the Exercise of Voting Rights (PDF 86 kB);
- Securities that violate local or international law are excluded from its portfolio. This is an exceptional measure taken based on certain circumstances.