The Caisse’s Green Guide outlines practical ways for our employees to put into practice the 4 R’s of waste management: recycle , reduce , reuse and rethink.
- Always use recycled paper.
- Place non-confidential documents and all other outdated recyclable materials in the bins or other waste collection locations.
- Place outdated confidential documents in the shredding bins for recycling.
Printing, paper reduction
- Work on-screen to limit paper use.
- Print double-sided.
- Use colour sparingly.
- Print several slides or document pages per sheet of paper.
- Review document design to optimize the printing format (font size and margins).
- Before printing Web pages, copy and paste only the text needed.
- Print on the back side of non-confidential documents.
- Use Microsoft Word’s track changes function to make changes rather than printing out the document to make corrections.
- Use an electronic agenda rather than a paper one.
- Share USB flash drives with colleagues.
Newspapers and other publications
- Subscribe to publications electronically rather than requesting paper copies.
- Use electronic greeting cards rather than paper ones.
- Send documents by e-mail rather than by regular mail or fax.
- Add new business contacts to Microsoft Outlook rather than saving their business cards.
- Use the ranking functions and automatic archiving program for e-mails.
- Dispose of records at least once a year.
- Use electronic data management (EDM) instead of filing papers.
- Delete e-mails, attachments, and files that are no longer needed.
- Before leaving the office, turn off screens, desk lamps, and all other electronic devices except the computer towe.
- Reuse regular and accordion files, suspension files, binders, paper clips, and paper clamps.
- When placing orders, choose recyclable materials.
- Use reusable glasses and goblets rather than paper cones or Styrofoam containers.
- Reuse file boxes.
- When possible, sort recyclable materials before placing confidential documents in the shredding bin.
- Always ask yourself whether it is really necessary to print documents, particularly e-mails.
- Where possible, manage documents electronically and keep only the final versions.
- Where possible, us the Rightfax fax software application.
- Don’t hesitate to sign up for courses to learn how to make optimal use of software applications.
- Review existing electronic documents and forms – if they are no longer needed, archive them.